- This event has passed.
Irrigation Improvements Webinar Series
March 25, 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm MDT
Butte Conservation District, Belle Fourche River Watershed Partnership, and the Bird Conservancy of the Rockies presents a series of webinars on improving irrigation in the Belle Fourche Watershed. This series will host industry leaders, conservation experts, and producer panels to highlight irrigation improvements in the irrigation district.
Why does irrigation matter for birds? Bird Conservancy’s stewardship outreach has engaged farmers for decades, starting with efforts relating to Mountain Plover nest marking in agricultural fields. Across the Belle Fourche Watershed, a common crop is alfalfa which can help generate food for bird populations (especially for hatchlings), create nesting habitat, and serve as bridges for otherwise fragmented habitat. Improving efficiencies in irrigation to support these crops also supports water conservation at large, contributing to aquifer regeneration, wetlands and habitat health, and regional drought resilience.
Thursday March 25th 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- NRCS representatives will discuss cost share opportunities for pivots and irrigation pipeline
- BFID discussing regulations when converting from flood to center pivot
- Local pivot dealers will discuss their products and services
Thursday April 22nd 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
- Valerie Riter NRCS Area Agronomist will discuss plant water demands in different growth stages
- Kent Cooley NRCS Area Soil Scientist will discuss water movement in soils and the challenges of irrigating clay soils
- Dave Ollila with the SD Soil Health Coalition will discuss improving soil health under pivots
- Producer panel on the benefits of increasing soil health under pivots
Thursday May 20th 7:00 pm – 8:00pm
- Alex Roeber with DENR funding pivots with 319 funds
- A variety of moisture sensor companies will discuss their products and the benefits of utilizing them.
- Producer panel discussing the benefits of moisture sensors and improving yields
All Sessions will be hosted virtually on Zoom and accessible both online and by telephone
An irrigation Project Tour is planned for June/July (details TBD)
To register, contact Jennifer Lutze via email or phone: (760) 920-1196
Organizers of this event are not endorsing any of the companies during this series. The intention of the organizers is to allow you the opportunity to listen to multiple service providers to help you discover the best solution for your operation. The companies speaking are not the only businesses that supply these services and we encourage you to look for other solutions to best meet your needs.